Saturday, August 3, 2013

Oops..Now What Can I do to Fix This?

I hear this question a lot more than you might imagine.  For some reason my students don't think that I ever make mistakes and I have to actually point them out before they believe it.

No doubt my percentage of mistakes are about on par for the average knitter.  It happens when my multitasking mind takes a coffee break and forgets to tell me.  What I mean is that I can be knitting along and suddenly my mind is somewhere other than on my work, so my hands revert to muscle memory. Clearly, at least in my case, my mind can fail me occasionally.

Anyone who is a typist, knitter, crocheter, or many other crafts will tell you that as awkward as learning how to do their craft may have been in the beginning, after awhile the fingers and hands coordinate themselves and they don't have to think about the moves any longer.  It's the same as driving a car, walking, swimming - well, you get it.  But muscle memory really is separate from the brain waves you used when you were first learning.

Today in class Jane called me over to look at her baby sweater.  She was mystified by what had happened.  She's a new knitter and what seems perfectly obvious to me is not for her.  The 1x1 rib was darling, but it was actually a moss stitch.  Why? She followed the directions perfectly and she knit 1, purled 1 across the row, turned the work and knit 1, purled 1 back the rest of the way. And it would have been perfect except that she had an odd number of stitches cast on which is what you want when you mean to knit a moss stitch. 1x1 rib is done on an even number of stitches.

First of all, even if it wasn't what Jane had originally wanted, it was lovely and once she realized that it wasn't a rip-out mistake, if she didn't harp on it; she was satisfied to see it in a new light.  Next she had somehow become mixed up in the center of the back and although she had been doing a great, nice and even stockinette stitch, she suddenly began knitting on the purl side and purling on the knit side.  Muscle memory failed her and her hands went on doing what they did without her noticing that she was on the wrong side of her work. Again, call it a design element and be sure to repeat it at the front sides in exactly the same places.  Who's gonna know?

In short, I never use a pattern because I have a  mind that "sees" design and shape so I can get by with my eyes and a tape measure for added security.  That also means I am not married to a particular set of instructions.  Most people feel better if they are told what to do on each row and I admit I did too for years, but now I don't need it.  But that also means my students can deviate from the written design and it turns out to be OK after all.  They just need to believe in the shape of the garment and leave the various designs to develop for themselves.

Seen in the completely new light called "I Meant to Do that!" you can turn seemingly awkward mistakes into something unique.  Yesterday I was knitting the last 5 stitches on the front of a sweater in garter stitch - nice and firm and won't roll out.  I let my mind go out for a walk and suddenly I had 5 rows of garter followed by 5 rows of stockinette on  the front edge. I quickly added 5 more garter sections followed by 5 stockinette.  Try it out.  It's beautiful. Gonna do it again.

Here's to happy mistakes that lead you to unique new looks.  Your projects will get a lot more enjoyable if you don't let them shame you into believing you made mistakes.

Come back and see me again soon and have a great time letting your projects go where they will.  Hugs to you and your projects too!  Pat

No comments:

Post a Comment